Thursday, August 9, 2007

#2 Advice

These are all really thought provoking questions.
First, How many of us listen to the advice given to us when we are 18 and out on our own for the first time.
Living on a farm with the nearest town being less than 1000 people, what we knew of the bigger world was probably what we saw on television. Ozzie & Harriet, Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver, etc. I don't recall any women in charge. Our Miss Brooks was about a teacher and there was another program about a secretary named Suzie. These seemed to be the options for women. The advice I wish I had would probably be that a girl can do anything she wants to do or has the talent to do. When I was a senior in high school, I wanted to take a shop class but girls were not allowed to take shop. Boys could not take Home Ec. There were no girls sports either. This is kind of odd because when my Mom was in high school she played on the girls basketball team. I think just a few years before my high school years boys were allowed to take a home ec class. Women have come a long way in the past 40 years, but they still have some ground to make up.
Sue

1 comment:

LaDawn said...

I'm really glad you are enjoying these questions! They are really making me think about my life.