Friday, July 27, 2007

Golf

Now I am going to bore you with golf stories. If you are not interested, you can skip it.
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday - NWAGA held a 4-ball/best ball tournament at El Dorado in Norfolk. I don't know why they call it 4-ball because it only involves 2 people and 2 balls. The format is you play with a partner (mine was Joy). Each person gets strokes taken off according to their handicap. Each team member plays her own ball and records her score minus the handicap stroke or strokes allowed on each hole. The lower of the two scores is the team score. On Monday and Tuesday I played really well. We were in 3rd place after 2 days. There were 50 teams playing. I think I might have gotten a little nervous on the third day having never been in contention for so high a ranking. Our net score for Monday was 64, on Tuesday 62. On Wednesday we did not do so well. We ended up with a net 70. This is still below par 71, but not enough to keep us so close to the top. We did end up in 9th place. They paid down to 16th place so we did get back $100.00 each. Since this is considered an amateur tournament, cash cannot be paid. Our entry fee was $120.00. Even if we had not won anything, we played 3 days of golf, had 2 continental breakfasts and two lunches for our $120.00. And I enjoyed 2 1/2 days of vacation. I was disappointed in my play on Wednesday, but glad we hung in there fore something. (I now know how Sergio felt on Sunday). After play on Tuesday, they had a putting contest. A little putt putt course was set up on the putting green. There were 6 holes. I tied for first with 11 putts. I did win this portion of the tournament and got a little golf statue.
Bored yet? On Wednesday evening our Fairplay golf league had a member/guest tournament. This was a 2-person scramble. My partner, Kathy, and I shot well enough to get 3rd place in 2nd flight. Just enough to get our money back.
Still with me? On Thursday night 3 other ladies and I went to Wayne to play in a 4-lady scramble. We did not win anything, but had a great time.
One more - tonight Jerry and I plan to play in a couples scramble.
Sue

2 comments:

Janell said...

Not bored at all. This is, after all "The Back Nine!"
Don't feel too bad about misspelling your name. Sometimes when I type the word "TURF," I hit the "D" instead of the "F". That looks really bad....

Sue said...

One of the most embarrassing newspaper misspellings I have ever seen was in an ad it the Belle Fourche,SD newspaper. The ad was for Christmas promotion for Belle Bucks and the B in Bucks was typed as an F. I wonder if the proofreader was fired?
Sue