Monday, July 2, 2007

7/2/07

This year is now half gone. Where does the time go? We look a the changes that have happened in our lifetime and wonder what will our children and grandchildren see in their lifetimes. We have men and women in space. Our grandchildren probably give no notice of this since this has been happening all of their lives. We have seen great strides in medicine. Are we on the right road to finding a cure for all the cancers that seem to afflict so many today? After watching our mother go through the stages of Alzheimer's, a cure for this terrible affliction would make a big impact on the nursing home population. Watching a young man go from very athletic to a wheelchair with machines for him to breath and eat because of Lou Gehrig's disease makes us hope for a cure for all of the debilitating diseases that afflict way too many young people. How many of these terrible diseases will go the way of polio and smallpox in the next 50 years? How many of you remember standing in block-long lines for the Sabin Polio vaccine?
Are children learning math and spelling or are they just learning to run computers?
Do they teach manners in school. I remember in my little country school having a session on good manners. I suppose these things should be taught at home, but having a little class at school can't hurt. Now we have bigger problems in the schools with all the shootings. I truly believe this comes from the violence that they see on television and in the movies. I remember my mom saying she didn't like the "shoot 'em up shows" on television. The Lone Ranger and Roy Rogers were mild compared to what we see now. Also the sex that is in almost every TV show any more. What kind of message is it sending to our kids when they see every one jumping from one partner to another. It is shown as a sport. The consequences can be devastating, but this is not shown in most programs. How can we convince our young people not to mess with smoking and drugs? Even with all the ads showing the affects of both, they are still major problems of our society. When will there be enough support to ban smoking in all public buildings?

OK, Ive rambled on again. I had an uneventful weekend. Did get two projects done. I scraped the old adhesive off the front step so we can put down new outdoor carpeting. I aso had to rewash the windows in my sunporch. We had a real bad year for Moths and the windows looked like a windshield after a long nighttime drive. Today my back, arms, legs, shoulders, and hands hurt.
Sue

2 comments:

Janell said...

I remember standing in line at the Vet's Hall in Lyons for the polio vaccine. It is miraculous how diseases that used to be fatal and permanently debilitating arent’ even scary now. I hope that progress continues in an ethical manner.
On Alzheimer's, etc.; I remember Christ's words when he heard his friend Lazarus was ill; "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified.” John 11:4 He then went on to raise Lazarus from the dead. When our pastor preached on this passage, he said, “Sometimes, even God’s favorite people get sick, but if we put our faith in Him, He will not betray that trust, but will always make something good come of it.” We may not immediately recognize the good, but I choose to trust Him.
I agree that a course in manners is definitely needed. It was one of the things I added to our home school curriculum back in the day.
I also agree wholeheartedly that the entertainment industry has contributed a great deal to the social issues that confront us daily. I will be posting a blog about this at OSM soon.

Shirley said...

I remember the vaccine. I remember Larry and I remember Mother. They suffered.

I am not so trusting to think there is a good in everything. Some things are evil.