Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Geese

The goslings seem to be all grown up. The older batch has flown away. Can't wait until the second ones are gone. They are really starting to mess things up. They sh** all over the place and now that they are grown up it is about like dog sh**.
Last week they even pecked around the cup on the 18th green. Don't know what they were after unless it was the sand for the gizzards. It has been fun to watch them grow up and see how the mom & dad teach them how to do goose things. The two families seemed to stay together most of the time. They would be in the same area around one of the ponds on the course. Each family would be separate, but in the same general area. Even though the babies are almost grown, the gander still watches alertly when anyone gets near. I guess the instinct to protect your kids even after they are grown is the same for birds and animals as for humans.
A little funny about a goose. Our parts manager lives on an acreage and has some animals including a goose. He also has a 3 year old granddaughter that spends a lot of time with them. One day the goose took after her and of course she ran screaming from him. Terry stepped between the goose and the little girl. When he picked her up and dried her tears she said "Papa Terry, if that goose does that again I will cook it."
I remember being chased by a rooster when I was real little. Dad was the hero at that time as he kicked him away before any physical harm was done. The mental part wasn't so lucky. I was always afraid of the big roosters on the farm. It seems they knew it too. It was a sprint from the outhouse to the house when one was around. I never liked to gather eggs either. It looked easy when Grandma Gatewood would reach uner the hen and steal her eggs, but I just didn't have the nerve to do that. I would get a corncob or a stick and poke at the hen until she flew off the nest.
So much for this fowl blog.
Sue

2 comments:

Janell said...

I enjoyed your "fowl" stories. I remember being afraid of roosters, too.

Myrnagj said...

Grandpa Gatewood kicked th rooster that was after me.

I, too, have watched families of geese grow up around a pond on my walk. I noticed the other day they do seem to swim and walk around in family units.

Also in nature, or as much nature as you can see in a city, I saw a jack rabbit pretending to be a statue. It stood for as long as I watched. I looked away and when I turned back it was hopping towards the bushes.