Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Update

Update to the geese population. Two batches have hatched - 4 & 6. There are 10 baby geese to
worry about hitting with a golf ball. There are several adult geese around the ponds also.
It is fun to watch the gander defend his family. He doesn't let any of the others get too close to his family. They do just walk away when humans come close. I really don't think I would want
him to attach me. One of the nice things about the game of golf is the varity of birds you see.
Some people have put up bluebird houses, so there are a lot of blue birds. Red wing blackbirds are another group. You really don't want to get too close to the blackbird nests. They will attack. (Right Cassie). There are also quail or bobwhite and pheasant. These are more often
heard rather than seen. Killdeer will fake broken wings to lure you away from their nests. Cardinals, blue jays, finches, crows, sparrows, wrens, robins and many more I don't recognize. We have seen snapping turtles making their way around the course. We have seen deer run across the fairways. We spotted 2 in a pasture across the road from the course Friday evening when we left. I even saw a rare jack rabbit last summer. Of course there are the inevitable grophers or ground squirrels digging holes all over the place. There are different types of fish in the ponds. One in particular has an abundance of gold fish. I wish the water were clearer so we could see them better. Someone once said "golf is a good way to spoil a nice walk in the country." If I didn't play golf I would miss out on all the enjoyment of being out in the country.
Janell, you are so lucky.
Sue

4 comments:

Shirley said...

Mark Twain said the line about golf ruining a good walk.

Shirley said...

Bluebirds are shy and not uually in places near people, you're lucky to get to see them. We are getting a glimpse of a Woodpecker now and then. I love it when the Cardinals come by -- he is sooo red, and she is just as pretty with her beige and orange colors.
The Red-winged Blackbirds make the coolest sound. I have RW blackbird earrings.

Janell said...

Sue, I agree that I am quite blessed with where I live. I working on a cardinal story to post on One Square Mile.

cdroses said...

We have a cardinal nest in our bushes outside the living room window. I think the nasty crackels have taken over the nest though. Very disappointing.

Two baby bunnies have taken up home in one of the bushes. The girls have named them (God help me) Sugar and Dexter.