Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Elk

Jerry & Joe left Norfolk Thursday evening to go to Chadron for their elk hunting trip. They have been saving and looking forward to this for about a year. The way I understand it is the owner of the ranch raises the elk, tags them and turns them loose in the wild. He has a bunk house for the hunters and feeds them all their meals while they are there. J & J were the only 2 hunters there for the days they were there. This is nice because no one will be shooting into them. The rancher told J & J that there was one huge bull that had a red tag, meaning it was about 9 years old and the oldest one out there. He had not seen it for about 8 days. He drove them out to the timber and left them. He came back to check on them later. Since they had not scared anything out of the woods, he took them to another area. They found the big bull and Joe asked Jerry if he wanted it. Jerry said he didn't think he could hit it because he was shaking so bad. Joe said he was too, but took the shot. The big bull is his. Jerry did get a "smaller" one later that morning. I can't put up the pictures, but the antlers on both of them are as tall as they are. This is a trip that Jerry has talked about for years. If it weren't for Joe, he probably would never have had the opportunity to do this. Joe will probably get to keep both sets of antlers since we don't really have a spot for them in our house. I don't think Jerry even needed the new camos. Joe will be allowed one room in their new house that will be his room to display all his hunting trophies. Angie calls it the "Redneck room."
In the meantime, I had another golf scramble to play in on Saturday. Once again my partner, Donna, and I were 1 stroke out of the money.
Our interim pastor told us Sunday that Noah took one of every creature on earth except a woodpecker. lol.
Anyone want to come up for an Elk dinner?
Sue

7 comments:

Janell said...

CONGRATULATIONS to Joe & Jerry! I would have room for a set of antlers in my tack room. (hint hint, hee hee.)
Yes, I'd love to try some elk! When's the dinner? (we're going to Illinois the 21-24 for Crytal's wedding)

Sue said...

How about Christmas?

Sue said...

Just re reading my post and will make a correction before Janell catches it. Noah took 2 of every creature.
Sue

Janell said...

Christmas sounds good. Did we move the date like we had talked about? Or is it still the first Sat in Dec?
Thanks for the correction, but I still don't get it.

Sue said...

I think we were changing it because of the big 12 playoff game, but it doesn't matter to me.

Noah had a wooden boat and he didn't want the woodpeckers pecking holes in it.
Sue

Shirley said...

I think Bob would like the elk dinner -- remember that's why we met for lunch in Nederland a couple of years ago -- the elk tips he had at that restaurant.

Janell said...

Oh. Now I get it. DUH! Sometimes it takes me awhile!