Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Joe

Today my "baby" is 35 years old. Do those of you that have adult children still think of them as teenagers? The day he was to be born came after a storm that left the roads icy. Even though the Oakland hospital was right across the street from us, we were to go to Fremont for this event. I was scheduled to have my tubes tied after the birth. At that time studs were permitted in tires and since Jerry is a professional driver, we had no problem getting to Fremont. He was born around 11:30. The delivery room was sooooo cold, around 53 degrees and all I had on was a sheet. Every thing went well, but I just couldn't get warmed up. He was born on Sunday and I had to stay in the hospital for 5 days. Today they probably would have sent me home the next day. There were 14 babies in the hospital that day. Must have been a moon change or maybe the storm. Everyone who visited the nursery said Joe was the prettiest. I had to agree. I didn't have too many visitors because the weather continued to be kind of drizzly so I was really ready to go home. The "Big Sisters", age 5 & 6 were really excited to meet their new brother. Although later he just became a pest.
Today that "baby" has 2 of his own one 14 and one will be 9 in December. A few years ago after driving for a big company, he took a chance an bought his own truck.
Later he talked his dad into joining him and Jerry bought a truck and leased to Joe.
Joe now has 3 other trucks and drivers besides his and Jerry's. He is building a new house for his family. He loves all things out doors and takes pride in the accomplishments of his kids.
Happy Birthday, Joe, We are proud of you.
Love Mom

4 comments:

Janell said...

I remember coming to Fremont with Mom to visit you & Joe. He was definitely the prettiest baby in the nursery. I also rememeber Mom saying, after we left, that you looked tired. She blamed it on the surgery.

Shirley said...

Happy Birthday to Joe. Thanks for the story and the update on his life to date.

cdroses said...

Here's "bis sis's" version of the day he was born.

Mom woke Tammie and me up, saying something to the effect "the baby is coming". They dropped us off at Nanny and Grandpa's house, in our jammies. I remember the school couldn't decide if we were going to school or not. It ended up being a late start, then they let us out early. I don't remember Mom being gone for 5 days. I'm guessing we stayed at Nanny's.
The next day, I told all my schoolmates about my new little brother. (yes, he did become a major pain in the butt) I remember picking Mom and Joe up at the hospital, in the green Impala.

I also remember the bout of Pneumonia and the humidifier-tent he had to have in his room, that winter. Then all 3 of us with Chicken Pox...had to have driven Mom nuts!

LaDawn said...

I can't imagine my children growing up and having children of their own. I know it will happen one day (god willing). Happy birthday, Joe and Happy birth day Sue!