Monday, October 1, 2007

weekend

Friday I had to tell a lie to my friend and best golfing buddy.

Today is her 60th birthday. Her husband of 40 years had planned a small surprise party. Her daughter and family from Salina, KS also planned to surprise her just by coming for the weekend. My part was to tell her I couldn't play golf after work. Therefore I had to tell her that Joe wanted us to come to his house for supper and we wouldn't be able to golf or go out for supper. It is probably a good thing I told her over the phone, because I am not a good liar. When she walked into Baily's
she said that 2 shocks were more than she could take in one day. The first being her family walking in and the second being that we were there ready to celebrate this milestone. After supper we went to their house for some socializing. A good time was had by all.
Saturday we had tickets to NEBRASKA VOLLEYBALL, the number 1 team in the nation.
We also celebrated KENDRA'S BIRTHDAY, #11. Tammie & Randy had purchased an old pickup and we were delivering it to them. Three reasons for a trip to Lincoln. We picked up the truck and paperwork ane left Norfolk about 12:30. With the wind blowing 30-40 mph the 1/2 tank of gas in the truck was used up in a hurry. One of the places we stop for a break is David City. I was going to put gas in the truck, but when I switched tanks it showed almost a full tank. We took our potty break and got a Diet Coke. Only a few miles down the road the truck began to stutter and died. After coasting to the side of the road, I switched back to the front tank and the truck started. Now the gas tank is on empty with about 15 miles to Seward (into the wind). We made it to Seward, whew! Since we had not had lunch we decided to get a hamburger at Runza to sustain us until Godfateher's. When I got back to the truck, I couldn't find my cell phone. Jerry dialed the number, but we could not hear it ring. All I knew of the station in DC was it was a Shell station. I found a phone book, but it was not listed under "Shell". I called the non emergency number for the DC police dept and got the name of the station. They had not found the phone and no one had turned it in. Now I have to find the Alltel customer service number. The one listed in the phone book did not work. Calling back to Courtesy Ford, Jeff found the number for customer service on the Internet. Of course when I call I get someone with an accent. Cell phones are not always known for being clear, but I think I finally got the service cancelled. Ok, now I better get some gas. Pulling up to the pumps, 3 of the 4 pumps have bags over them indicating out of order. The 4th one a guy was trying unsuccessfully to get it to work. We gave up on gas there and I hoped I had enough left to get a block down the street to get enough to get to Lincoln. We left Seward with just about enough time to get to Godfather's in time for the party. I only made one wrong turn in Lincoln, but we got there.
Kendra loved her remote-control Mustang, the book (A Series of Unfortunate Events) and the sweater that we had given her. We had pizza and cake and a nice visit. T&R were happy with the truck. They had plans to haul lumber from Home Depot on Sunday.
Off to the VB game. Only a few wrong turns and into the parking lot. A short walk of about 3 blocks and we are there. Nebraska swept Baylor in three and it only took about 1 hour and 15 minutes. We had an uneventful drive home. Thank goodness.
Sunday was pretty quiet until the middle of the afternoon when the wind changed to the north and started blowing hard again. We were lucky and did not get any of the storms that hit around the area. The good news is that Randy called and had found my phone in the truck.
Back to work.
Sue

2 comments:

Janell said...

Sounds like you were experiencing "A Series of Unfortunate Events" of your own! Glad it all turned out good for everyone!

LaDawn said...

Those lies don't count and I hope you can get your mobiel phone service turned back on!

Unfortuante Events indeed!