Friday, April 27, 2007

Robins

Is there anything more stubborn than a robin when she decides where to build a nest?
There is one that has decided the best place to nest is on the downspout of our house.
When she and/or he started putting the makings of the nest on the spout, the twigs and
grass just slid off. Somehow the finally got a few to stick and the nest was started. Trying
to discourage them, Jerry knocked the makings down. The birds came back with what looked
like puzzled expressions. "Where did my nest go?" But not to be discouraged they began again.
Jerry again knocked down the twigs. The birds seemed to be giving us dirty looks as we
watched them through the kitchen window. When the truck driver left and I was gone for
the weekend, the nest was completed and 1 egg was laid. Since it had been raining and I
could not reach the nest without a ladder it stayed there until Jerry got home. Again it has
been knocked down. I guess it is time to get out the aluminum foil and find a way to attach it
to the downspout. A couple of years ago a robin tried to build a nest right by our front door
on the motion light. After our efforts to discourage the building, we put some crumpled foil
in the spot. This seems to discourage the birds, but at that time the bird tried to knock down
the foil. Don't think I have anything against robins building nests. Just that with all the trees
in our neighborhood they don't have to make the mess on my house. Besides, the downspout
is right outside my bedroom window and I really don't need an alarm clark at sunrise.
Sue

3 comments:

Janell said...

Good luck with keeping your downspout clear. Aren't you glad it's not a vulture? :)

cdroses said...

lol @ janell
Aren't there some sort of mesh coverings to keep birds from getting in there? Just a thought.

Sue said...

Yes, Janell. Vultures would be a
big problem. I don't think I'm
that close to dead that they would
be circling.
Cindy, the birds are on the outside
of the downspout.
Sue