Friday, April 20, 2007

Friday

This weekend my bowling buddies and I will be going to Grand Island for the state bowling
tournament. I'm not sure what the priorities are. Maybe the bowling is an excuse to get away
for a weekend. It sure isn't done for the money. By the time you figure in your entry fee, motel,
food, and gas, what you may get back does not even come close to covering it. There are 3 events - doubles, singles and team. They also have an all-events entry. I think the most I ever
got back was around $65.00. I did have my highest ever series ever (597) in Elkhorn several
years ago. I had a split in the 10th frame of the last game so I missed my 600.

Years ago, when we lived in Oakland, I bowled in Lyons. My Aunt Katherine had moved back
from Colorado and enjoyed bowling. She would ride with me the 7 miles to Lyons. She had been
diagnosed with emphesema many years before. She bowled as long as she could take those 3 or
4 steps and roll the ball down the alley. It was one of the last things she gave up. I remember
when she started showing the signs of this illness Grandma G. said that she didn't think
Katherine had long to live. I think it took her about 35 years to die. She must have had a lot
of determination to suffer for that many years. Uncle Roland was her nurse for many years
and did not outlive her by much.
When they lived in Oakland when we were very young, they ran a cafe on mainstreet of that
little town. We loved to go visit them, because they would give us ice cream. Later the first
Dairy Queen was built just a few blocks from their house. We always begged to have a DQ
treat of some kind when we visited. They had the best footlongs. DQ must have changed their
reciepe for chili sauce or my taste has changed because the footlongs just don't seem the same.
I don't remember all the prices, but a small cone was 5 cents. A sundae may have been 15 cents.
Now if we walk accross the park from our house, there is a DQ. When we get the urge to have
a treat we only have to walk about a block for it. I think their 5 cent cones are now close to a
dollar. And their footlongs aren't as good. Progress, hrumph!
Sue

2 comments:

LaDawn said...

I find lots of food I thought was great as a child just isn't the same. Not sure if I've changed or the food has changed. Probably a bit of both. I do love DQ limeades! I can't get them over here. Shame!

LaDawn said...

Happy Birthday Sue!