Thursday, June 12, 2008

Change of Plans

Saturday - the usual chores- Laundry, mowing, cleaning, grocery shopping. Jerry was playing in an annual 2-day tournament called the Polish Open. An invitational fun tournament put on by a local golfer. My usual golfing buddies had a family thing in Bloomfield so I was left on my own. It was just work, work, work until time to get ready to go to the dinner that was part of the "Polish." Friends from Carroll were there so had a good time.
Sunday, I had volunteered to help at a tournament at Fairplay. After more rain, around 2 or 3 inches, this tournament was cancelled. Jerry went to play his second day at El Dorado. After I went to church, I decided to do some things that I have been putting off. I went to the basement to get a sponge mop. There was water in the basement. At first I thought the air conditioner had backed up again. NOT. The water was coming up from all the rain. Now, we have never had a problem with rain water, but we have never had this much rain since we have lived in this house. So, as a result, my Sunday was spent vacuuming water. The water just kept coming up through the floor. This is how I did not want to spend my Sunday. I got up at midnight, 3 am, and once more at 6 to go over the areas affected so the water would not get into other areas. When I went home over my lunch hour I went over it again. It seemed to have quit coming in. I hit it again after golf around 9 pm.

Monday- We had a make-up golf night and managed to get it played.

Tuesday- I had an insurance adjuster stop by who informed me ground water and rain water are not covered unless we have a sump pump and tile. Now do I spend the money to install the above items or hope this is a one-time occurrence and just keep vacuuming if it happens again? The grass just keeps growing so time to mow again. Then I borrowed a ladder from our very nice neighbor and crawled up on the roof with the leaf blower and blew out all the *&%# maple seeds out of the gutters.

Wednesday - We got our golf league played without getting rained out. Now we only have one more make-up which is scheduled for June 30.

Thursday- Sun is shining - no rain forecast.

My first project for tomorrow will be to get the damaged carpet out of the basement(didn't like it anyway). Any volunteers to help? I feel my back protesting already.

6 comments:

Shirley said...

Sorry -- can't help with the carpet. My boss volunteered our department to help out a couple of Iowa locations that are underwater.

Myrnagj said...

I can help if you have about $400 for airfare and can pick me up in Omaha.

cdroses said...

lol @ Myrna.
Tam is having basement water problems too. She does have the pump, but it quit working (shorted out!?)
I have the experience to pull carpet, but not quite close enough to drop by to help. If you don't have one, get a "super bar" to help pull up the tack strip. It looks kind of like a crow bar, but is wider.

Sue said...

Thanks for nothing you guys.
Cindy, the carpet is not tacked down so is easy to pull up.

Tammie said...

Did you know that a 25 year old rusted out sump pump sitting on its side not plugged in is also not covered by insurance? It is amazing, though, the magic of a working sump pump once installed and working. To stand in the spare basement bedroom and watch this water seeping in at 2am knowing there is nothing you can do almost made a person cry.

The basement water problems has now resulted in having to have the 1-year old carpet cut out so the ruined pad can be removed. Step 2 is pull out all the wet drywall and insulation out of two rooms. Step 3 is have the new carpet pad installed and the salvaged 1-year old carpet reinstalled (thankfully salvageable) and then replace the drywall. We will do the drywall work ourselves but will probably be a very slow-going process since we will have to do it as weekend warriors.

Fortunately I have connections at the bank having worked with several construction builders. Since Randy doesn't have industrial equipment we had to call in help. All it took was one call and I had two guys at the house Thurs. morning working on it. One of them owns a carpet cleaning business and he did his best to try to suck as much water as he can out so we can get the carpet out. The mold & mildew smell is awful so the sooner it gets out the better.

I keep saying it could be much worse as I see Cedar Rapids, IA and other parts of Wisconsin where houses are destroyed by flood waters.

Having pulled up wet carpet LAST year, your back has my sympathy.

Jamie Dawn said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
Water in the basement??
YIKES!
Removing that carpet sounds like work, so I hope the work is done by the time you read this comment.
I haven't played golf in many years. It is fun, but I just don't ever do it.
Well, if you are going to Blogstock, I will meet you there in person.
:-)