Friday, February 15, 2008

Loss of a landmark

Sunday night Decatur lost what was probably the oldest business in the town. The Green Lantern Steakhouse burned to the ground. Fire departments from Lyons, Tekamah and Onawa were called in to assist. All was for naught, it is a total loss. The building was originally built as a car dealership then was an implement dealer. In 1955 it was converted to a steakhouse and bar. It has been in business for 53 years. The original owners, the Coopers I believe, had to sell for health reasons. It has changed hands 3 or 4 times. The present owners have had it for about 4 years.
The first time I ever heard of Pizza was when Dad and his bowling team would go there after bowling and have pizza. I think he did bring us some at least once. After having pizza for the first time, we thought it was great when we had Chef-Boy-R-Dee pizza mix with our own hamburger added.
When I worked in the bank in Tekamah, our Christmas parties were held at the Green Lantern.
There are probably not too many people in Burt County that have not eaten there. It will be missed.
Sue

4 comments:

Brooke said...

That is sad! I loved that place!

LaDawn said...

And now I never will...

Janell said...

I must have been 10 y.o. or so and it was on a drive over to the Green Lantern that I asked Mom and Dad why I never saw them kiss and so Mom scooted across the front seat and they kissed each other.
Randy liked that place , too. He was really sad to hear about the fire.

Myrnagj said...

I remember going there with a bunch of rowdy teens on a cold, snowy winter night.

I also remember a hot, humid summer night when Mom, Bob and I went to dinner over there. After dinner Bob lit a cigarette just like Dad always did. He turned sideways in his chair, just like Dad. He crossed his legs like Dad. It was the first time I ever noticed he looked so much like Dad. And it was the last time I had a meal with him and Mother.