Wednesday, June 20, 2007

6/20/07

Busy, busy, busy. Cookout at Janell's on Saturday. What a great day for young and not so young. Most of us are still young-at-heart. Bubba is the greatest horse for teaching kids to ride.
Both Janell and he are really patient. The food was great and the fun and laughter while sitting in a circle in the shade outdoors was as much fun as I have had in a long time. I really hated to leave. Oh, yes, the food was great too.
Sunday it was nice to see the extended family and catch up on what is going on in their lives. There was swimming, paddle boating, hiking, fishing and I don't know what else everyone found to do in the great outdoors. Eating and Bingo were the sports of choice indoors. Of course when the Gatewood family gets together there are the masses of cameras and pictures to be taken.

Monday, it was back to Ashland for my friend Donna & I. We played Monday and Tuesday in the NWAGA eastern stroke play. Ashland is a pretty tough course. I was not totally unhappy with the way I played even though it wasn't good enough to win anything. We had signed up to play a ladies scramble in Stanton Tuesday night. We got back there with time to spare and visit with some other early arrivers. Donna & I shot 39 which was good enough for 2nd place. I had some really fun people to play with all three days.

One more golf tournament this week. The Norfolk Country Club is hosting their annual open today. Will be leaving work early to play in this tournament. Whew. June is always a busy month for tournaments. One reason is the extended daylight hours in the evenings. A lot of ladies outings are for only nine holes and are scheduled in the evenings.

The worse thing about the last few days was our motel. It was probably one of the worst places I have ever stayed. I it was called the Big Inn. Right along I-80 at the Ashland exit. It was probably a converted Super 8 or some other chain. There was no coffee, no shampoo, no drinking glasses, no Kleenex and no breakfast. ( We were really desperate for a place close buy to stay). The tub was clean but really worn from too many abrasive cleaners. The TV did work.
The motel was probably 40 years old and I think the towels were probably original. We tried all the standbys in West Omaha but everything that was available was doubled in price because of the College World Series. Our other choice was Lincoln, but we really wanted something close.
I don't think there were any bedbugs. I don't have any rash or itching today. All the rooms had outside entries and there is nothing like a Diesel truck starting up at 6 am for an alarm clock. Next time this tournament is in a small town, we will get reservations as soon as the schedule comes out.
Sue

2 comments:

cdroses said...

Sounds like you had a good time with your golfing! You were close enough to bunk with Jaydee (in a cabin) or with Kendra (in a tipi) at camp! :) I hear the showers there are pretty cold, though.

Sue said...

Cindy, Thanks anyway. At least the shower worked and was hot. Oh yes, the water faucet in the sink leaked.
Sue