Monday, November 23, 2009

Saturday & Sunday

On Saturday we took the EL downtown to The Saturday Market. This is almost like a state fair without the rides and livestock. A lot of vendors set up booths and sell their wares.. Lots of food choices. We chose gyros. Don't think I liked them very much. Having limited amount of room in my carry on luggage, the only thing I bought was some kettle corn.

Since it was Halloween there were a lot of little kids trick-or-treating. One was an adorable little gnome dressed like the gnome that advertises travel on TV. She was probably around 2 years old dressed in a light blue robe and red hat. One of the dancing water thingies was an attraction for her and several other little kids.
The chilly weather didn't seem to bother them. J & K had an artist do caricatures of them.

Kendra's choice of "things to show Gramma" was Powells Book Store. This is about 6 or 8 blocks from the market so we walked. Just as we started up the street it started pouring down rain. I guess this is the way it is in Portland. I bought a couple of books for reading on the return trip.

We then went to another little suburb to visit some antique shops and eat supper at a Chinese restaurant which was very good.

Back home & watched a little TV.

Sunday we went to Church. A very small church compared to the one they attended in Lincoln. C J % K were among several joining the church that morning. Some of this group were also being baptised. As we took communion we dropped rose petals into water in remembrance of the saints that have gone before us. They have a lady pastor and was a very nice service. C & I had coffee and walked around outside while waiting for K to get out of SS>

Terry picked us up to take a drive up Columbia Gorge. Even though Cindy said we would not eat anywhere we could eat in Nebraska, Arbie's seemed like the most convenient spot to have lunch. We stopped at Cindy's favorite falls, Monhotmah(don't think that is the right spelling). We walked up to the bridge about half way up, but decided not to go all the way to the top since days are kind of short and we wanted to go the dam and fish hatchery. There wasn't much to see at the hatchery except the aquarium that had a sturgeon that weighed over 400 lbs. I think his name was Herman. Back to Portland and another meal. This one in a place kind of like IHOP or Village Inn. Another very good meal. Good thing we were doing a lot of walking. Back to the apartment and repacked for the trip home. Said "goodbye to JD since she opted to sleep in.

Monday, up early to catch my flight home. Kendra got up for a goodbye hug. Cindy dropped me off at the entrance. The flight home was a lot nicer than the one out. I thought I might have time to get a bite to eat in Denver, but our connection to Omaha was not near the food court. I was glad I had my kettle corn and some cookies that Terry had given me. Got into Omaha around 4 and was back in Norfolk by 7. Had to stop at the store to restock for the week.

It was a great trip and I am glad I know how to picture the apartment and the area where My Girls live.

5 comments:

Jim said...

Hi Sue, I'm glad you had a nice break in the scenery. I was trying to think of what happened around here on the 10th. Mrs. Jim played golf but Wednesday night and Thursday were bears.

I sure will come back after Thanksgiving to see if you can get pictures. Normally it isn't very hard and things are better now as Blogger pretty well got rid of the bugs.

Sometimes I use Picasa. On it just pick your pictures. Then you can upload up to four at a time. Each time those four you have picked will be on a new blog and you have to copy them over if you want them all on the same blog page.

Cliff Morrow used to use Picasa, I don't know anymore.
..

Shirley said...

Portland sounds like a fun place to visit.

Shirley said...

Portland sounds like a fun place to visit.

Janell said...

I'm glad you got to go out and visit. I'm sure Your Girls all enjoyed it as much as you did. Welcome home and hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!

Myrnagj said...

Sounds like a fun trip.

Next time make it a triangle trip and come to California. Or drive on down it's only a six or seven hour drive.